Network management

What is it?

Desktop or laptop connected to network with an ethernet cable and not getting access to the network?  Request support for an on campus wired ethernet/network connection.

Who can use it?

Faculty/Staff and students can report issues with the network at SCC.

Where can I access this service?

Please click the "Request service" on this page or contact the service desk at or call (636) 922-8555.

Request Service


Service ID: 48855
Mon 2/15/21 5:38 PM
Mon 3/8/21 3:07 PM